Interurban Museum Field Trips
Project LocationHistoric Plano: A Walking Tour
Make Tracks to the Interurban Railway Museum:
Our field trips bring history to life!
The Interurban Railway Museum is located in Plano's historic Haggard Park, which is located at a DART rail stop and features a playground, picnic tables, a bandstand, and a small pond. Field trips are offered Monday-Thursday at 10:00 a.m. Field trips for all age groups are available, and reservations are required for field trips of any size.
Museum Field Trips:
• About one hour from start to finish
• Support the Texas TEKS (see full details below)
• Available Monday-Thursday, beginning at 10:00 a.m.
• Serve all age groups
• Reservations required for all visits
• Suggested $1.00 donation per child
Preschool/Kindergarten-focused field trips include:
A tour of 100-year-old Railway Post Office Car 360, guided by a uniformed rail car motor man!
• Learn about rail post offices
• Discover period advertising
• Discuss what rail travel was like 100 years ago.
• A tour of the Interurban Railway Museum
• Recreated train depot lobby
• Regional history room including transportation, crops and livestock artifact room featuring a working "O" scale model train layout, and much more!
1. The “Urban Express” Tour:
tour of Railway Post Office Car #360, guided by a uniformed rail car motor man: learn about the rail post office system, discuss period advertising in the train car and learn more about electric rail travel.
tour of the Interurban Railway Museum: learn about regional history in the history room, explore interactive displays in the science room and experience the working "O" scale model train layout and other period artifacts.
2. The “Coach Car” Tour:
Includes everything offered in the "Urban Express”, as well as a detailed, engaging curriculum for leaders to teach about the various subjects and concepts included in the museum.
3. The “Motorman's Choice” Tour:
Includes everything offered in the “Coach Car” tour as well as a walking tour of the historic area surrounding the museum, including a historic neighborhood overview, public art pieces, a time capsule, modern day rail transport and more!
Click below for additional field trip curriculum details including details on how our curriculum aligns with Texas TEKS objectives and more. (this section is under development)
· Preschool and/or Kindergarten field trip (more details coming soon!)
· First Grade field trip (more details coming soon!)
· Second Grade field trip (more details coming soon!)
· Third Grade field trip (more details coming soon!)
· Fourth Grade field trip (more details coming soon!)
· Fifth grade field trip (more details coming soon!)
Visit the downloads section of the Interurban Museum page for color flyers with details about our field trip options.
Links above will soon include detailed worksheets, optional classroom pre- and post-trip activities, and additional details on how our curriculum aligns with TEKS objectives and more. More detailed guides will be added soon!
To book your Field Trip the the Interurban Museum please Contact Us!
‹ Visit the About Us Page for a complete list of Projects and Accomplishments and to learn more about the Plano Conservancy.